It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 18 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: College Majors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:02 pm 

View Feedback

Saw this thread on ISS and decided to make it here, because, I am "Undecided" and have changed my major eighty thousand times already ! I don't know what I want to do, I just entered my sophomore year...

So, I wanted to know what other people's majors are or what you plan to major in, and what that major entails (what kind of job that major can get you, job outlook, $$, what you would be doing) whatever information you wanna throw in!

Mods you can lock this if there is already a thread about it sorry :oops: If not :D

My majors have changed from Business to Elementary Education to contemplating fashion design =| damnit I'm lost !

go hard. grind hard. born hard. bred hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:06 am 

View Feedback

I plan to major in Nursing.....I either want to be a nurse or a Neonatologist..with nursing I would get my BSN & then go on to get my masters to become a nurse practioner....but while in nursing school you can switch over to pre-med...which I think I'll end up doing....I want to get my license in nursing (RN or NP).....then be able to practice medicine.....starting salary for a nurse out of college with your BSN as a RN is about $60,000.....which is good when you're fresh out of college..& then I'll do my two extra years to become an (NP)....then of course all the years I will have to do in Med school..sounds confusing but I understand.....it'll all pay off in the end. (=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 am 
FSF MODERATOR

View Feedback

For now, I plan to major in Fashion Management at the London College of Fashion. It covers management, marketing, merchandising and buying and I plan on becoming a buyer or managing director.
Failing to get into LCF, I'll probably go to another university in the UK and double major in Business + Spanish (even though Spanish is practically my native language) or Retail Management + Spanish.

You have to work your way up in buying so..junior buyers start out at about $23,000 a year (which is shit) but a senior buyer could be earning over $100,000 a year (those salaries are in the UK, not sure about the US).

I can see myself doing multiple jobs at the same time/having side projects though. I don't like monotony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 pm 

View Feedback

i'm majoring in Nursing. I'm currently attending a community college that has an RN program and I will hopefully finish there. I will probably go on to continue and get another degree and earn more money.

and like lulunaise23 said, "starting salary for a nurse out of college with your BSN as a RN is about $60,000....."

to me, 60k start, is really good. my dad BARELY makes 59k and he's been working at his company for over 25 years. i see a big jump in salary and maybe i'll be with my parents still and i'll be helping them out, raising my little sister. i don't know.

with nursing there are so many options!! if i can't get into the RN program i'm going to take some courses to be a Licensed Vocational Nurse, they have A LOT of things that they could be doing in a hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:29 pm 

View Feedback

disflylatina wrote:
i'm majoring in Nursing. I'm currently attending a community college that has an RN program and I will hopefully finish there. I will probably go on to continue and get another degree and earn more money.

and like lulunaise23 said, "starting salary for a nurse out of college with your BSN as a RN is about $60,000....."

to me, 60k start, is really good. my dad BARELY makes 59k and he's been working at his company for over 25 years. i see a big jump in salary and maybe i'll be with my parents still and i'll be helping them out, raising my little sister. i don't know.

with nursing there are so many options!! if i can't get into the RN program i'm going to take some courses to be a Licensed Vocational Nurse, they have A LOT of things that they could be doing in a hospital.

Yep & nurses are in demand so you'll always have a job wherever you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:41 pm 

i was orginally doing business in health administration
but i was slacking in school. so i switched my major to nursing so i can finish it in 2 years at a community college then get a bachlors and specialize and become a nurse anestitis. lol i dunno if thats how yu spell it.

JR 080405

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm 

View Feedback

i plan on majoring in architecture no one believes in me though not even my mother =[ but w/e they say its a male major i won't find a job b/c of my skin color blhblhblh but i believe that i will despite of what happened to others or what people say =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm 

View Feedback

i plan on majoring in architecture no one believes in me though not even my mother =[ but w/e they say its a male major i won't find a job b/c of my skin color blhblhblh but i believe that i will despite of what happened to others or what people say =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm 

View Feedback

im officially undeclared but i have been taking business prep classes so i consider myself a business major. when i get back to school, i will declare it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:08 pm 

View Feedback

i wanna major in gynecology / obstetrician. hard but i know i'll love what im majoring in i find the female reproduction system & the stages of birth and all that stuff fckn amazing

they make up to $190,000 & more
a year

only thing is i need to get excellent grades in high school after that get 4 years for bachelor degree then 4 years of medical school and 4 years of a internship which is 12 years total .

sometimes its less than 8 years and that depends if you are taking AP courses in high school to go to a university.

its a great job & has a high demand theirs ALWAYS babies being born !
so theirs billions of doctors needed the more the marrier .

im still researching i always wanted to do this ever since i was young . if i dont get to do that i will be a teacher =)

nothing with so much math ; im good at math but math really urks my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:58 pm 

View Feedback

i wanna major in forensics .. but i'm not sure yet :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:47 pm 

I plan on attending an art college and majoring in graphic design and thinking about doubling up in business just so I can be on the safe side with a buisness degree also. My dream is to work for vogue magazine! But eventually have my own thing going and put out a magazine and start a company for myself so I love love love to design so I know graphic design is what I am passionate in and its what will get me there.

Just like you I didnt know what I wanted to do or major in an stuff and I changed so many times but I finally just found what I was passionate in an what I'm good at and I basically went from there and now I'm pretty confident in my decision because it something I love to do. But I had the same troubles and I just recently figured all this out within like a year almost I just slowly been leaning towards it and I found good colleges and stuff which also really helped my interest. So I wish you luck with finding you major and keep changing until you find what you love it doesn't hurt to explore. =)

"Heal the world..make it a better place for you and for me"-RIP MICHAEL JACKSON (gone too soon)

IM A GRAPHIC DESIGNER..HIT ME FOR YOUR NEEDS!

"ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:13 pm 

View Feedback

i'm in my sophmore year and still in Business Admin.

i want to change to criminal justice but i think that'll put me so far behind :cry: :cry: :cry:

idk what to do honestly, too many people are going for my major and that means less job opportunities

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm 

Pre-Med for me, I'm thinking of either becoming a Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, Sports Nutritionist, or a Toxicologist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:44 pm 

I'm currently studying Nursing. I'm so dedicated to the program and I know that my heart is truly in the Medical field. After nursing, my ultimate goal is to get my BSN in Nursing and to become a Pediatrics Nurse Practitioner. Hopefully, to also be a nursing instructor with my BSN degree.

:D

Page 1 of 18 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next